Most of the homes in Texas and the rest of the country were built before the widespread use of phones, tablets, computers and other devices that use a lot of electricity. As such the wiring on many homes may not be adequate to support our higher electrical demands. Many houses are full of unsafe wiring that’s far out of date, old, possibly toxic or flammable insulation near switches and outlets. Even though your lights turn on when you flip the light switch, you may have wiring issues that can be as minor as causing power outages in a few rooms or extreme enough to trigger an electrical fire in your attic or walls.
An estimated 50 million+ homes, offices and other buildings have inadequate or outdated electrical wiring. It’s recommended that you have your home or office inspected at least every five years to prevent issues related to defective or out-of-code electrical wiring.
The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports that faulty electrical wiring in homes and other buildings is responsible for more than 40,000 fires every year and those fires kill approximately 350 people each year and injure thousands from electrical shock and burns. More than two billion dollars in property damage occurs each year due to fires and other dangers from faulty electrical wiring.
You should have your electrical system checked every 5 years or if any of the following apply:
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, we recommend an inspection of your electrical wiring system. Our professional electricians will perform an extensive inspection of all switches, outlet, wiring, fuse boxes and other electrical components in and around your home.
Although consulting a professional electrician is required to find most electrical issues in your home, there are a few things most homeowners can do themselves to help prevent shock and burn injuries: